Rick and Monique

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Closed Doors and Open Doors

Ok...shortest blog in my history. Maybe you'll have to use the rest of the time you would've used reading my arduous posts thinking about the short one...we'll see.

C.S. Lewis Quotes – God
My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? - Mere Christianity

In light of this quote, my question is this:

Rick Elgersma Question - Doors
It's well documented and oft experienced that once God closes a door we can't choose to open that door again (a closed door is a closed door we say). When God closes a door we turn and walk another direction, wondering where God will take us next.

How come so many of us claim that when God opens a door that we can choose to walk through it or not? Can we boast the ability to choose to close the door ourselves?

Free will occurs only when the door is open? Does our will allow us to yank and strain over a closed door to no avail (definition of insanity)? I'm curious as to your thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We may in fact, have the choice to go through the doorway opening or not; however, to presume that we may be able to open or close any door in this context, is preposterous. If God closes a door, we cannot break it down, If He opens it we cannot close it.