Rick and Monique

Monday, October 22, 2007

Faith

Ok, I think I can keep this one short (er).

I'm continuing my political thoughts of last week Friday. I've listened to candidates again this weekend...on the radio, in the newspaper and on television. Here's what I want you to understand. I'm about to tell you one of the most politically prudent reasons to elect and hire a President of Faith...even Mormonism...yes I said it, and I'll tell you why I said it. There are certain people who have promised to protect any person who worships and anyone who doesn't worship...promises to protect the unborn, the dead (non-christian) and the born-again. All of the candidates that say these things are people of faith. There are candidates who swear to give rights and entitlement to a more progressive people, do not swear to protect the unborn and care more about protecting alternative lifestyles and raising taxes than they do protecting marriage and religious practice...care more about destroying a President, than they do about saving a war...care more about stem cell research than they do about the pain a fetus feels just before it's killed.

I don't know if a politician will be true to his/her word. For example, if one side
really cared about Katrina, why isn't New Orleans in any better shape now that they control Congress? If they thought the city could be rebuilt in a year and if they thought the only problem with New Orleans was a natural disaster, then why isn't it fixed?

But I'm looking at faith. Simple faith. I'm more interested in a man of Christian faith, but I'm also looking at stalwart leadership capabilities and integrity. That's it...both sides intend to be generous towards the poor, nice toward the disadvantaged, and fix roads. But the one some candidates look at my faith is suspicious and I believe that I am in danger of persecution...a fact for which I should rejoice, but still fear.

Maybe you can't legislate morality because true love comes from the Heart which is drawn by God...from which stems true morality...that is the attention to all things that are loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle and self-controlled...anything that is pure, noble, right and excellent. Maybe morality can't be legislated...but it can be upheld and established. Some candidates have promised the life for all people that began here more than 200 years ago...some have promised to walk away from these principles. But look at them closely and you'll find that this is the difference between a man of faith, and one who has none, shuns it or ignores it. Some Christians might vote for someone because they are woman, or because they give excellent entitlements to minorities or the handicapped. But watch what they do with their profession...you just might hear a resounding gong or a clanging symbol.

I would not normally quote Aristotle to support an argument, especially about my Christian Faith. However...he said something of a prophetic statement, but at the very least made a knowledgeable depiction of hypocrisy in Government...

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider God-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, wrongly believing that he has the Gods on his side.
–Aristotle, Politica bk v (ca. 340 BCE)

Seem vaguely familiar? Faith in God is the glue that holds this country together. Watch for and know the real thing.

No comments: