Rick and Monique

Monday, March 30, 2009

How things change...


Monique again...
Thought I'd might like to write again.  If you've been following our blog (okay, Rick's blog) - you have noticed a theme...  We have a busy, crazy, active life.  And we wouldn't want to get bored or have too much free time on our hands!  So, what now?  How about a 1-year-old boy to shake things up a bit?!?

Yes, we are taking care of a little boy full of energy and quite active. Nothing like that to change how you view the world, how you see your house, how long it takes to get ready for church!  We've really no idea how long we have him, but we are enjoying this (most likely short) parenting journey, and we learn a lot every day.  We learn about kids, about sleep schedules, about very full diapers, about each other & how we parent.  Rick and I have different parenting strengths and weaknesses and it amazes me how they work together.  It shouldn't amaze me -- because that is how God works, but it still does.  

This little guy is smart!  He can find the button on just about every device (and likes to push the SAME button repeatedly).  He looks and looks to try to figure out how something works.  He is a determined little boy and I am amazed at how strong his arms are (especially when he doesn't want something near his face -- like a tissue!).  The weight of a 22 pound boy triples when he throws a tantrum in my arms.  We learned that.  He has learned how to play by himself and explore the house and he is really fast on his hands and knees!  He is quickly learning how to drink from a cup and wants to feed himself, but he loves to throw things on the floor to get some gullible adult to pick it up for him.  

And he has a delightful laugh and a beautiful smile...  
So that helps in the moments when he cries or tantrums or keeps trying to take over the computer! :o).

I don't know how long this piece of life will go on, but I will enjoy it as long as I'm allowed, love the joy of a moment, and the movement of time...

6 comments:

Webster World said...

Oh it is wonderful. Capture it now as you can. Enjoy these precious moments. Once they are gone they are gone forever. We have 3 grown boys and I so wish I'd have taken more time. Like the song...Cats In A Cradle...I dislike that song because it's true. I try now just like the song says. Last week I went to a men's christen retreat and attended a grandfather session and learned to go there and it will help with my sons also. So yes enjoy as it sounds like you are. The little guy sounds like a blast.

Annette B. said...

Mm, that's beautiful, Monique.

B.B. said...

Sounds like you are enjoying the little guy, have fun!

Unknown said...

Nice to be able to take care of a lively one year old; challenges and joys!

IHG said...

Ok...we don't see each other enough. A 1 year old little boy?? Sounds like you are enjoying your time with him and the pix of him by the window is so awesome! Hope we get to catch up sometime soon!

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Those years go by so fast! I'm glad I have three little nephews to cherish these moments with. My children are 13 & 16. someday I hope when the nephews are too old, I might be lucky and have grand children. Hopefully the years in my life where small children can spread their joy will not be too far apart.