Rick and Monique

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Write IT DOWN! The road ain't goin away

I've been contemplating life the last few weeks. I find it's better to contemplate life without complicating life...I mean without complicating life by trying to write it down. So, time paid a visit and I let it through the door. It was easier to leave the pen in the glass-turned-pen holder. The grand experiment was to let life happen without working so hard to try and describe it; Like identifying every day sounds without trying to interpret them.

We've experienced a bitter cold winter and yet just a few days ago I opened up my window simply to remind myself that I can breath cold air also and live. A bunch of us connected the Missouri to the Mississippi this summer...a few spokes connected two great bodies of water, much like two great countries who've agreed not to run eachother over. Rubbers and Spokes...Rubbers have often stopped the progression of mankind (hee hee), but not this time. You know what I learned about roads? Gravel kicks up dust and asphalt cracks into holes, but sure as shit they'll get you somewhere. You may feel lost, but stick with the road, you'll get somewhere. I heard it in a movie..."I'm just a four-letter man with a problem to fix." Do we wait for someone else to cover the pot-holes before we drive over them? Tires go flat...get a spare.

I breathed in cold air and went off to some meeting so I could say I ran a company that day. I looked up and the road keeps goin ...crap. We had to help a friend out of a little jam not long ago. It was a bit less of a jam than the Samaritan on the side of the road but it was a jam, so we got him the heck out of Dodge for the weekend. He's attained quite a lot of wealth for a man under 30 yrs. old, so we rented a van, he bought a flat screen plasma T.V. and an adapter and power converter, we hooked it up in the van and the girls drove while he and sometimes I played video games the entire trip. If that's how a friend gets another friend out of a jam, I'm feeling awfully generous! Just kidding, they are two people that are very dear to us and we were more than happy to work this out with him. The road is still wide open...but not wide hopefully. I took my wife out on Valentine's morning...there were no star-crossed lovers out for breakfast on Valentine's day. Just me and her and I felt renewed in the morning. Another friend's daughter has a lot of problems and she writes about how grateful she is to be interrupted by this or that because interruptions remind her to breathe. Monique helped her through a few moments and I sent her a couple of poems, hopefully she breathed and the color on her face turned from blue-ish to fleshy again. She's had a couple similar things happen to her lately. She lost a baby. I know how she feels and isn't that a good thing that someone knows? It is. Another couple had a baby in their home, feeling great about their new adoption, until the birth father dashed their hopes and dreams. But then, they get up in the morning, like we did.

I look up and the road keeps going, much like this paragraph, which by it's design mirrors the road. I suppose I came up to forks in the road or T-intersections but I forgot to notice...if you have any t-intersection stories, let me know them, I'll listen. It would've been good if I'd been observant of my own.

And so God let me try and run and company again today and then, with all my fanagaling (how in the sam-hill do you spell fanagaling?), Rob sold us a Fundraiser! I fanagaled, he sold. I love that life is that way. He fanagaled too of course. Yahoo! Man is that a good thing. I'm so excited about Heartland Stores I can hardly stand it. In some ways one closes their eyes wondering when the next shoe will drop. I've learned to try and figure out what kind of shoe was dropping. It's always one with a little silver lining in it (for instance a van-turned-theater!) and I'm stoked about that. I opened the window and breathed in some damn cold air again. Looked up, saw more road, decided to stop right in the middle of it, no stop signs, no red-lights, and write it down. So here it is. I love the open road and I've decided that I love to write about what I see on the road...the road leads to God's throne, pot-holes and all and It's worth writing about. Right?