Rick and Monique

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rick the Right-Wing Extremist

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a loving, loyal, generous man who would bend over backwards to help you.  I love people, peaceful conversations and many topics, and milk and cookies.  I enjoy playing guitar and riding motorcycle.  I enjoy classical music and listening to the laughter of children.  I love my work and time with friends and family.  I've been caught speeding and I caused a vehicle accident most recently, oh and I ran a red-light at 5 a.m. one morning, but am generally not a law-breaker.  I'm a husband, brother, son, grandson, friend, co-worker, uncle and foster dad.  
Add "Extremist" to the list!  Sounds exciting?

Homeland Security on April 7th declassified a document defining the make-up of a right-wing extremist. Information included A footnote attached to the report by the Homeland Security Office of Intelligence and Analysis that defines “right wing extremism in the United States” as including … groups that reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority.”  It actually says this:

Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups), and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration.

I'm looking at myself in the mirror right now--I see a man who hates abortion, desires less government involvement, much lower taxes, is a devoted Christian, for school vouchers, prayer in schools, doesn't always oppose certain weapons controls but am definitely for rights to weapons ownership (hunting, protection, constitutional right to form a militia etc.), am for state and local authority and against illegal immigration, played a shoot'em up game on the XBOX-360, and is headed to a Christian music concert tonight...

Aw crap.